Monday, April 18, 2016

Begedil (Deep Fried Potato Patty) -Mama's style

Begedil has always been part of the Tan's family favorite  recipe, my mum has mounded one of the best begedil in Singapore and some even say in Malaysia and Batam.

The main reason for the bagus and shiok shiok feeling when makan my mum's begedil is because the generous serving of ingredients in it, she always emptied at least 2 big cans of sardines along with a sack of good quality potatoes and mashed it up - so basically you are eating the potato patty with the sardines meat in it......
Then she put bawang (Malay word for onion), Chili padis (Malay word for small chillis) and spring onions (cue taken from Chinese cooking) 

well most begedils you get in a typical Malay stall or at those nasi padang stalls are solely potatoes and nothing else in it.... the best you get is some vegetables in it.... and they are small in size - like mouth size (you look at my mum's begedil, you need at least 2-3 bites to chomp it up. haha)

So yesterday, my mum made begedil sardine again but this time round she done another variant where it is begedil beef (corn beef).
After we tried the latter at an Eurasia restaurant, we keep pestering her to make the same and that was the wisest choice we made because it is so damm good, she has attained an upper hand on the ones we had in the restaurant....
this morning I brought some for my colleagues and poor sardines, they have been dethrone by the beef.....

These are the beef variant and damm shiok
These are the sardines version.... the old favorites

I know, I know, both variants look similar and I too had a hard time to differential both of them unless I take a bite and be surprise by the filling in it... well isn't life full of surprises....





No comments:

Post a Comment